Wednesday 26 January 2011

Workshop 2: Conflict

We took the skills and knowledge we learned from the Conversation workshop and created another short film that had to include conflict or a 'fight' scene. Armando asked about the groups and whether they should stay the same as they were; Most of the group said 'yes' to save people falling out and we worked well together in the groups that we were in; Lauren enjoyed working with Shanice and with her group, however Ben wanted to change the groups so he complained to Armando. I didn't hear or see him do this but I think it was because he wanted to work with everyone and not just stick with one group. I didn't mind who I worked with; it's good to work with a variety of people as everyone has their own different skills and interests. Armando decided to 'split the groups up' and swapped Ben with Jack and Lauren and I; the new groups haven't really changed and Lauren is negative about the change because she wants to be with Shanice; Shanice's group agreed that they worked well together which made me feel uncomfortable as I was the one that 'replaced' her. 

Armando just told us to get on with it and stop whinging about the group change so the new groups just got on with it because moaning about it wasn't going to get them anywhere. Shanice and Saffie suggested filming someone spying on 'their victim' and eventually that person gets chased. I liked this idea because we didn't have to actually fight one another; proper punches, kicking or anything, just to film tension, however we had to include some sort of conflict. When they were explaining their idea, they used Myself as an example of the person being spyed on and themselves as the people spying. I felt a little pressured into acting in the video because they didn't ask me whether I wanted to, however I should be enthusiastic about acting on film as I am studying Performing Arts.

We were asked to plan a storyboard and script for our short film in the first 2 hour lesson and in the afternoon session that we have with Armando, he wanted us to film it. We were all really excited about this until Harvey came in and asked the Performing Arts students to attend a meeting with the Media students and Martin Tucker. We were all really confused because we had already had a meeting with Martin Tucker and recorded the answers via video and Gemz is taking minutes for everyone. This took up the last half an hour of the morning session which means that we hadn't created a storyboard or anything.

We came back from our break and Shanice and the rest of my group had already started drawing the storyboard. Saffie, Shanice and I didn't really know what we could do to help apart from pitch ideas for the storyboard, however Ben had taken over and did it himself. Armando started getting annoyed with this because Saffie, Shanice and I wasn't doing any paperwork which contributes to the short film and we started having our own chats about Finding Nemo. This fed everyone up and we just got a camera from Ian and just got on with it. 






We started to film in the corridor on the first floor, outside the Mac suite; I was the person who was being followed and Dylan told me to walk down the corridor, pretending to be on the phone whilst Shanice and Saffie were spying on me, standing behind the door of the Editing Suite. Ben and Dylan recorded me walking down the corridor twice; one from behind me and one from Shanice's point of view. The next shot was Myself walking to the top of the stairs and looking down, still on the phone. This was difficult to shoot more than once because I had to walk to the exact same place on the stair railing because when they edit the film, it will flow together (continuity). The next shot was Myself, speaking on the phone and slying glancing over my right shoulder and noticing that I'm being followed; however I couldn't glance too much because I had to pretend that I seen them from the camera's point of view but not make it obvious to them (if that makes any sense) so I pretended to the be on the phone for a few seconds, see the spyers and run down the stairs. At this point, Shanice and Saffie follow me, picking up their pace as I do. Ben and Dylan wanted to film Myself running down the stairs until the Ground Floor level and looking up at Shanice and Saffie; a shot from my point of view and Shanice's point of view was taken. Ben wanted to capture my feet running down the stairs, along with Shanice's annd Saffie's feet. Ben also filmed a close-up of my eyes looking scared; this was hard because I couldn't make my eyes look scared without my face expressing the emotion, however we didn't have enough time to faff around as I just got on with it. 

The last couple of shots was Myself trying to escape via the doors on the Lower Ground Floor but they were 'locked' and I tried to escape the alarmed fire exit doors, whilst Shanice and Saffie were on my tail and reached the bottom of the stairs. I was surprised how quickly we'd filmed the short scene; we finished at 4pm and got to go home early.

No comments:

Post a Comment